February 9, 2010

Fabric Dye Day!

Today I decided to break out the leftover batting pieces from other quilt projects, and start painting. I lined a big cookie sheet with green tablecover plastic (cheap by the roll at party stores), and sprayed water all over the muslin until it was soaked through (but not sopping wet), then began to paint! I simply used Ranger's Alcohol Inks, making sure to work quickly before the ink could dry. I also used some Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow (yellows and whites) and even mixed the two types of ink together at times! I just very loosely filled in splotches of areas with different colors, beginning with the yellow because it was the lightest color, then moved to pink, purple, then the greens and blues. After I was pleased with the "splotches" of color, I began to outline flower shapes with the yellow Dye-Na-Flow. It turned out beautifully! I can't wait until it dries so I can begin doing some free-motion stitching and add some handmade paper beads. I think it will turn out to be a nice vertical art quilt, in spite of its humble beginnings as a scrap piece of batting!!

I also painted a few little crochet doily flowers with the alcohol inks, maybe to use as an embellishment on this quilt, or maybe for another project - I haven't decided yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I unfortunately have to review them first before they can be posted (to avoid spam for everyone!)
Thank you so much for your interest in my crafty goings-on! : )