October 27, 2010

"The Little Prince" Customized Art Quilt

I have been in communication with a new friend via etsy - and all I can say is that it has been SO fun and inspiring!! I was asked to create a special, large wall-hanging style art quilt featuring "The Little Prince" and his Rose, in a similar style to the quilt I had published in Quilting Arts Magazine - except much, much larger! Whimsical images paired with textured fabrics and an "Impressionistic" style background make this piece unique and delightful - reminiscent of the original book's illustrations (the inspiration for this piece).
On this piece I experimented with some new background surface design - building up layers of fibers and stitching mixed with Shiva paintsticks and hand-stitching. The combination of even machine stitching against the scattered, uneven hand stitching creates even more surface interest than in some of my previous pieces.
I also played with some hand-dyed lace, used as appliqued leaves for the Rose - which is also extra-special, created from special silk ribbon in variegated reds using ribbon-embroidery (classic spider-web rose).
I pulled out "all the stops" on this piece, because I knew it would be a treasured keepsake - a very special gift - and I wanted it to be worthy of the occasion it commemorates for its new owner.
In the photos you'll see so many different techniques - those mentioned above, plus many more embellishment and surface design and art quilting techniques - this was truly one of those pieces for me that was difficult to stop - as I realllly enjoyed this theme and the creative freedom I was given - this is truly "my style" art quilting : )


Finished piece measures aprox 30" wide:


The Little Prince is tending to his Rose....



Ribbon-Embroidered Rose with hand-dyed lace leaf applqiues:


"Falling Star" - Fairy Frost Fabric appliqued and surface-embellished with Shiva Paintstiks, with trailing tendrils of metallic mesh - outline stitched by machine and by hand,
with hand-sewn twisted gold bugle beads:



Left:  Extensive overstitching on sunrays, in variegated threads, then overpainted with fabric dye.
Right:  "Orbits" and background planets created using fussy-cut swirly motifs from Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" commercially printed cotton fabric (purchased at Field's Fabrics!):



"Impressionistic" style background in variegated blues created
a perfect "Celestial" background for this "Little Prince" planet scene:



~ Thank you for veiwing my latest project!! ~

2 comments:

  1. Simply wonderful! Amazing...
    I love the blue colours and the depth in the whole piece...

    What a remarkably inspiring talant you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely as always! what did u end up using for the world?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I unfortunately have to review them first before they can be posted (to avoid spam for everyone!)
Thank you so much for your interest in my crafty goings-on! : )