May 9, 2011

California Mountain Garden Art Quilt

This last weekend I completed a project I've been working on for MONTHS!
This is a 32" tall x 60" wide piece called "California Mountain Garden Art Quilt."
This piece is based on a photograph of a woman's personal garden - with gorgeous apple trees, ferns, lush foliage and flower gardens - and an amazing stone path trailing through it all. I fell in love with the original photograph, and was so pleased to get to work on a piece of this size - created all in one huge piece!
This qult features a combination of pieced together fabrics, fussy cut commercial print fabrics, and some of my own floral designs printed on fabric - plus "confetti fabric." I built this quilt up in layers by section, and did lots of stitching and overstitching - and used several different fibers for the background trees, plus some Angelia fibers for sparkle and a "sunlit" effect over the entire quilt that is not really captured by these photographs.

Here is one of the original photograph from which I worked - taken by Lynn Shannon of her personal garden. Additional photographs of the garden areas in full bloom were also supplied by Lynn; I superimposed and combined several images to create the final piece.




It was an absolute delight to get to translate her photograph into a huge fiber arts piece - it is my hope that every time she looks at this art quilt, it "feels" like looking at her own garden in full bloom! 
Also - I hope my respect for all of her hard work and artistic vision to create such an amazing garden is conveyed in this art quilt. : )


California Mountain Garden Art Quilt
by Heather J. Reid
32" tall x 60" wide
Original Photography & Inspiration by Lynn Shannon
May, 2011







Ground cover & florals with overstitching:



Pieced together floral fabrics & fussy cut fabrics with quilting and thread painting:



Apple tree with white fussy cut blossoms (all cut individually) with confetti background:



Ground Cover at the base of the Apple Trees - fussy cut ferns:



A snapshot of the back of the quilt on the lower left corner - lots of stitching!!

~ ENJOY!! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I unfortunately have to review them first before they can be posted (to avoid spam for everyone!)
Thank you so much for your interest in my crafty goings-on! : )